What Losses Get Covered By Accident Injury Insurance?

Assuming that the insurer gets contacted within 30 days of the injury-causing accident, the coverage offered by the policy should compensation for proven medical expenses. Still, no insurer would agree to cover the costs created by a debilitating injury. In other words, the coverage of medical expenses continues up to a stated limit.

What happens then?

Then the injured victim needs a personal injury lawyer in Leamington or Huntsville, someone that can fight for the money to cover the cost of general damages. Pain and suffering belong at the top of a listing of such general damages. Money for pain and suffering ought to get supplemented by coverage of money lost, due to creation of adaptations in the victim’s life.

For instance, the disabled victim could have to pay someone to take over housekeeping duties. In addition, the victim’s condition could create the need for attendant care, another expense. Finally, the victim’s home might need a ramp or other adaptation. Both that and any medical equipment would cost money.

A good lawyer should help with obtaining long term disability benefits. Those would fill the gap created by the limit on the coverage offered by the company that was willing to offer accident injury insurance. Those long-term benefits cover another loss as well.

Seldom is someone with debilitating injuries able to perform all the duties associated with his or her previous job. Hence, he or she must deal with the loss of a chance to keep bringing home a paycheck by using his or her existing skills and training. Access to long term disability benefits helps to solve that problem for at least 2 years.

Keep in mind, though, that the delivered benefits equal no more than 80% of the salary that the disabled worker has earned in the past. This could become a real problem, especially if a spouse is helping with attendant care or housekeeping chores. Those could disappear or prove much less adequate, if the most helpful spouse were to go after and accept a job.

What happens after those 2 years?

At the end of that 2-year period, the insurer normally seeks to determine if the disabled worker might fill an open position somewhere else in the company that had furnished a paycheck in the past. Often, the disabled employee gets asked to undergo a period of training, in order to take over that open position.

If the victim has not recovered to the point where he or she could take part in such a training course or program, a lawyer needs to fight for a continuation of benefits. The lawyer should strive to demonstrate the victim’s inability to qualify as a participant in the suggested course or program.